Friday, February 11, 2011

No.18



Erik Satie 1866-1925
French composer and pianist

-o-0-o-

It’s difficult to believe that the studious gentleman in that photo was one of the maddest musicians around in the early part of the 20th century. But he didn’t call himself a musician - he said he was a “phonometrician" (which apparently means someone who measures sounds.)

Today, Satie is remembered for his piano compositions, particularly the Gymnopédies and the Gnossiennes.

Many of his pieces have very weird titles such as -Three pieces in the shape of a Pear, Two Préludes for a Dog, Dessicated Embryos.

Surely he was at his craziest when he composed “Vexations." This was a single sheet of piano music, at the top of which he wrote “In order to play the theme 840 times in succession, it would be advisable to prepare oneself beforehand, and in the deepest silence, by serious immobilities.”

You won’t be surprised to learn that John Cage 1912-1992, the American who produced 4’33” during which not a single note is played, arranged a performance of “Vexations” with a number of pianists taking part. The whole thing lasted more than 18 hours!!!

I hope all that hasn’t put you off listening to the music I’ve chosen. They’re really good, and at least one will be familiar.

But before that, I’ve just got to show you how Satie described his daily routine.

“An artist must regulate his life. Here is a time-table of my daily acts.

I rise at 7.18; am inspired from 10.23 to 11.47. I lunch at 12.11 and leave the table at 12.14. A healthy ride on horse-back round my domain follows from 1.19 pm to 2.53 pm. Another bout of inspiration from 3.12 to 4.7 pm. From 5 to 6.47 pm various occupations (fencing, reflection, immobility, visits, contemplation, dexterity, natation, etc.)

Dinner is served at 7.16 and finished at 7.20 pm. From 8.9 to 9.59 pm symphonic readings (out loud). I go to bed regularly at 10.37 pm. Once a week (on Tuesdays) I awake with a start at 3.14 am.

My only nourishment consists of food that is white: eggs, sugar, shredded bones, the fat of dead animals, veal, salt, coco-nuts, chicken cooked in white water, mouldy fruit, rice, turnips, sausages in camphor, pastry, cheese (white varieties), cotton salad, and certain kinds of fish (without their skin). I boil my wine and drink it cold mixed with the juice of the Fuschia. I have a good appetite but never talk when eating for fear of strangling myself.

I breathe carefully (a little at a time) and dance very rarely. When walking I hold my ribs and look steadily behind me. My expression is very serious; when I laugh it is unintentional, and I always apologise very politely. I sleep with only one eye closed, very profoundly. My bed is round with a hole in it for my head to go through. Every hour a servant takes my temperature and gives me another.”

This is the well-known Gymnopédie No.1 - a lovely melody, beautifully played by an unnamed pianist.



“Le Piccadilly” a cheery little piece, played by Mari Tsuda, with a brief biography of Satie on the screen.



Finally, “Je Te Veux,” and again the pianist’s name has not been given.



-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

A new series of my 80 plus blog began yesterday - http://80plus.blogspot.com

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

No comments:

Post a Comment