Friday, March 11, 2011

No.22

Myles Birket Foster 1825-1899

English watercolour artist and illustrator

-o-0-o-

The name of this artist will be unfamiliar to most people. Yet for many years he was highly regarded and around 400 of his paintings were exhibited at the Royal Academy. Also known as an illustrator, he worked for a time for Punch magazine and the Illustrated London News.

Later he was criticised for his idealised pictures of country life. He was one of a number of artists whose works were used by Cadbury to decorate their boxes of chocolates.

The paintings I’ve chosen are just crammed with detail, and I find that each time I look at them I see something I hadn’t noticed before.


The Country Inn

-o-0-o-


Landscape with Figures

-o-0-o-


A Peep at the Hounds

-o-0-o-


At the Cottage Door

-o-0-o-


The China Peddlar

-o-0-o-


The Farm Cart

-o-0-o-


The Milkmaid

-o-0-o-


The Itinerant Fiddler

-o-0-o-


“Hi there! Excuse me butting in to A TOUCH OF CULTURE. I’m Norman the Nerd from COME SURF THE NET which begins on 26th March. More details next week. Bye just now!”

Norman appears thanks to http://www.graphicshunt.com

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

No comments:

Post a Comment