Friday, April 22, 2011

No.28

It seems to me that it was only in the last few years that the practice of sending Easter Cards came to Scotland, but the idea doesn’t seem to have caught on.

To take my own family as an example, each year we exchange 80-90 Christmas cards but receive just 4 or 5 Easter cards.

And so it was a surprise to learn that their history goes back to Victorian England, when a stationer added a greeting to a drawing of a rabbit!

In Wikipedia the free encyclopedia, I found a good number of Easter Cards from the first decade of the 20th century, many of them from Eastern Europe, and I’m showing here my favourites.


A Card from Russia


This one dates from 1900


This is also 1900


A 1915 card


The caption says "Christ is Risen."


A Russian Empire card


First World War - Germany


This one is Ukranian

-o-0-o-

BLOG NEWS

Since more and more folk have been visiting JOHN’S GALLERY lately, I’ve decided to add more paintings to the site. This will begin tomorrow with 5 paintings by Sir Edwin Landseer. http://johnsgallery.blogspot.com

I’ve been planning 2 new blogs and the first of those starts on Tuesday next week - “Let’s hear that song again!” which features dance band music of the 1930s.
http://letshearthatsongagain.blogspot.com

And the other is “That was another good read!” which begins on Wednesday 4th May. I’ve subtitled it - Great moments from Classic Fiction.
http://thatwasanothergoodread.blogspot.com

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o

No comments:

Post a Comment